Hanwha to Build World's Largest Floating Solar Farm

  • Hanwha wins bid to construct a 100-megawatt solar farm in South Korea to supply enough energy for 140,000 people

Aerial view of the floating solar farm on Seokmun Lake

[November 2, 2017] The Hanwha Group will build the world's biggest floating solar farm capable of generating 100 megawatts of electricity in South Korea.

A floating solar farm is a collection of conventional solar panels installed on a structure that floats over a body of water. This new technology has myriad of benefits such as improving the quality of water around the solar farm, more efficiency (since panels cool over water faster), and greater energy production.

Hanwha General Chemical and its partner KOMIPO (Korea Midland Power Co., Ltd.), were selected to construct the solar power farm on the Seokmun Lake in Dangjin, Chungcheongnam-do province of South Korea, a project led by the Korea Rural Community Corporation.

Of the structure that will ultimately generate 100 megawatts, approximately 80% will be built by Hanwha General Chemical in partnership with KOMIPO, and the remaining 20% by the Korea Rural Community Corporation. Hanwha General Chemical plans to break ground in 2019 after the necessary approvals and permits are obtained. The plant is expected to be fully operational by 2020.

Once completed, the Seokmun Lake floating solar farm will become the largest operational floating solar farm in the world. Once complete, it will cover 1.2 million square meters of Seokmun lake, equal to 168 soccer fields. And the 100 megawatts of electricity generated at the solar farm will be enough to supply the power needs of approximately 140 thousand residents.

"As the leading global player in solar energy, Hanwha Group is committed to delivering solar technology to every corner of the world by leveraging its industrial leadership not only in solar power generation on land but also in floating solar farms worldwide," said Moon Hwan Cha, CEO of Hanwha Solar Power, the solar arm of Hanwha General Chemical and also the actual executor of the project.

Hanwha Group's solar energy affiliate, Hanwha Q CELLS boasts 6.8 gigawatts cell and module production capacity. It is the world's No. 1 manufacturer in terms of cell capacity. Hanwha Q CELLS represents the Hanwha Group's foray and expansion into diverse areas of business, as well as leadership in the global solar market.

Hanwha Q CELLS and Hanwha Q CELLS Korea each manufactures cells and modules. While Hanwha Q CELLS supplies them for the global market and builds solar power plants around the world, Hanwha Q CELLS Korea currently focuses on constructing solar farms only in Korea.

Hanwha Energy project manages and operates solar power plants for the global market. Similarly, Hanwha Solar Power, a subsidiary of Hanwha General Chemical established in June, is also responsible for project managing and operating solar farms but primarily in Korea.

Hanwha Group

Hanwha Group, founded in 1952, is one of the Top-Ten business enterprises in South Korea and a “FORTUNE Global 500” company. Hanwha Group has more than 85 domestic affiliates and over 380 global networks in three major sectors: manufacturing and construction, finance, and services and leisure. With more than 65 years track record of industrial leadership, Hanwha’s manufacturing and construction businesses encompass a broad range of fields from chemicals & materials, aerospace & mechatronics, total solar energy solutions, and global construction. The finance network, covering insurance, asset management and securities, is the second largest non-bank financial group in South Korea. The services and leisure sector offers premium lifestyle services with retail and resort businesses.

For more information, visit: www.hanwha.com

newsletter search

Newsletter Subscription

Sign up and be the first to see our latest
innovations and achievements.

If you are a Hanwha employee, please click here.

By submitting your email address,
you agree to the Terms & Conditions

Contact Us

Thank you for your interest in Hanwha.
Please contact us for your inquiries.

Email Us

Information Message

Please enter your email address.

Information Message

Please enter a correct email address.


Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest stories from Hanwha.

Information Message

Your subscription request has already been processed. Thank you.

Hanwha uses cookies to improve site functionality and provide you with a better browsing experience and service. By using this site or clicking on "OK", you consent to the use of cookies. Learn more.

Back to top