Products & Services > Affiliates > Hanwha Power Systems
Hanwha Power Systems
Hanwha Power Systems is the global energy equipment company in South Korea with independent design, production, and testing capabilities. The diversity, quality and the advanced technology of our products have provided the highest value to our customers around the world.
After its establishment in 1977, Hanwha Power Systems launched its energy equipment business in 1997 on the strengths of its reliable technology and deep experience in gas turbine engines. Since then, we’ve become a global powerhouse and have delivered more than 6,000 units of air and gas compressors worldwide. Using advanced technology, we developed high-value-added product lines. Our product lines include industrial air compressors, fuel gas compressors for power plants, boil-off gas compressors for LNG terminals and plants.
We won the contract to supply the world's first marine Vapor Recovery Unit (VRU) steam recovery turbo compressor. We also won the contract to provide compressors for Floating Storage Regasification Units (FSRU) and LNG carriers. These machines allowed us to demonstrate our outstanding technology in the global market. Our compressors and expanders use core components developed in-house that make them operate with shorter lead times and better performance. Their high efficiency serves as a competitive advantage to our customers.
Hanwha Power Systems is intent on building long-term partnerships while rapidly expanding its sales, customer service and R&D networks globally. We’re strengthening our partnerships so that we can provide better local customer service for our expanded product line. For example, we have been working on securing vendor approvals from Saudi Aramco and other major clients in the Middle East and Asia. At the same time, our Houston R&D Center in the US is accelerating co-development efforts on innovative projects, on a global scale. One of these joint development projects is with the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) to build a supercritical carbon dioxide (sCO₂) engine.
Our next goal is to become a global top-tier power and energy solutions supplier. To this end, we’re working to strengthen our product portfolio in the compressor business and expand into turbine-related businesses that can support petroleum gas and power generation customers. One such strategic cooperation is with Baker Hughes (BH) to sell its packaged products, including gas turbines, steam turbines, and barrel compressors. In 2019, we signed an official service center contract with BH to serve the South Korean market.
We are currently working to fulfill our contract with the US Department of Energy (DOE) to develop sCO₂ engines. The sCO₂ project with the US DOE is expected to help us become a game changer in the distributed power generation market by effectively supplanting the steam turbine market. With the successful completion of this project to manufacture products like the turbo expander generator (TEG) that uses waste heat for power and chemical plants, we expect to secure a leadership position in the market boasting eco-friendly power generation solutions.
In addition, Hanwha Power Systems is focused on hydrogen energy, the next generation of eco-friendly energy. Last year, we won a contract to supply hydrogen charging systems for building a multi-energy hub for the Korea Gas Corporation. With the successful completion of the project, we plan to expand the supply of hydrogen solutions around the world.
For more information, please visit:
Hanwha's businesses span chemicals & materials, aerospace & mechatronics, solar energy, finance,
leisure & lifestyle, and construction. Through the integration of our growing number of affiliate enterprises worldwide, we are harnessing the power of sustainable, quality growth to continually increase the value we bring to our customers.
- Hanwha Corporation Hanwha Corporation, the parent company of the Hanwha Group, is a global manufacturing company that has directly contributed to the growth of South Korea's economy. There are 3 divisions under the Hanwha Corporation: Global, Defense, and Machinery. Hanwha Corporation was founded in 1952 as Korea Explosives Company, quickly becoming the leader in the explosives industry of South Korea. It has since grown into a global manufacturing company operating in three business areas—explosives and chemical, defense, and machinery. In 1959, Hanwha was the first domestic manufacturer of dynamite in South Korea. After having successfully developed safer, high-quality industrial explosives and fire process products, we have been able to supply the South Korean government with the crucial means to rebuild its cities and infrastructure.
- Hanwha Techwin Hanwha Techwin provides optimal security solutions for different industries, with our full lineup of products ranging from CCTV and storage devices to integrated management software. Based on 30 years of experience and best technology in the field of optical and video processing, we are able to satisfy diverse customer needs with excellent product lineup, while maintaining a global top-tier status with advances in R&D that meet the changes in housing and industrial paradigms. With production facilities in China, Vietnam and in Korea, Hanwha Techwin manufactures 2.7 million video surveillance devices. Our service network covers Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, China and Asia and 76 percent of our sales come from our overseas markets.
- Hanwha Land Systems Hanwha Land Systems entered the defense industry in 1983, developing and producing land systems that played a pivotal role in increasing the defense capabilities of South Korea’s armed forces. We became an affiliate of Hanwha Group in 2015. Just two years later, we were spun off from Hanwha Techwin in 2017 as an independent and specialized defense company and renamed Hanwha Land Systems. We are building synergy with other defense affiliates, which reflects the Group’s decision to separate commercial and defense businesses.
- Hanwha Systems As a leading global total solutions company, Hanwha Systems provides differentiated smart technologies in defense ICT and information infrastructure. In August 2018, we launched the new ICT division through the merger with Hanwha S&C. Our ICT division will enable us to increase our leadership in defense electronics by leveraging advanced defense IT and system integration capabilities. And by strengthening our SI business competencies, we will be able to expand into areas of public infrastructure and private security.
- Hanwha Precision Machinery After developing the first chip mounter in 1989, Hanwha Precision Machinery has become a leading worldwide Smart Factory solutions provider, offering Surface Mount Technology (SMT) mounters, semiconductor equipment, insertion and assembly automation equipment, collaborative robots, industrial automation equipment, and integrated software solutions.